Friday, July 24, 2009

Ain't No Party Like an SL Party!

So this week's big news out of MY Second Life is the big grand opening of UH Second Life Island. For those of us who've been blazing down the SL trail over the past few years the opening of UH SL is quite an achievement!

I had a chance to meet many others who've been looking into SL aside from those of us in the ETEC community. I met quite a few folks from the MLIS program (who I am aware were also using SL) as well as folks from various marketing departments throughout the UH system who are looking at SL to further expand the UH brand.

DJ Becca Imako (my SL-partner in crime) spinned the tunes at our SL party and treated a lot of the newly initiated UH SL Residents to the way Residents like to get down with their Avatar selves!!! It was "good times" as we say :)

This week in class we had a chance to create the standard educators SL toolkit, a PowerPoint display, a URL display, a Media Player and a book. I've come across all of these (except for the book) throughout my time in SL through my networking in the SL ed groups. When I first got into SL a few years back I was truly amazed at its power to deliver traditional classroom content which piqued my interest in exploring SL as a possible DE platform. SL is waaaaaaay cheaper than the Elluminate and Wimba solutions we've looked at but it's main issue is platform stability which we have no real control over.

I've used SL media players, PowerPoint viewers and URL displays before and find them really easy to manipulate but this was my first crack at making them from scratch so it was a fun week in class.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment